Your Future is in Electricity
Electricians earn the highest wages of any of the construction trades. Start your career now! Become a licensed Journeyman Electrician in just 4 years through the IEC apprenticeship program. Benefits of apprenticeship are:
- No tuition – EVER
- Work full-time (40 hours a week) while in school
- Graduate debt free – NO loan to repay
- Make a competitive salary with projected raises every six months
- Earn college credits towards an Associate’s Degree
- Learn how to use the National Electric Code Book
- Take the Journeyman’s Examination at the end of the course
Apprenticeship blends on the job training with traditional classroom instruction. Work a full-time job during the day and attend classes two nights a week during the regular school year.
IEC offers 4 different programs ranging from 2 years to 4 years long to include:
- Field Service Engineer – Low Voltage Systems (2 Year Program)
- Field Service Engineer – Voice Data Video (2 Year Program)
- Residential Electrician (2 ½ Year Program)
- Commercial Electrician (4 Year Program)
Tuition and Book Costs
- Tuition is free, paid for by the State of Florida and the Apprentice’s employer.
- Books normally cost about $500 per year and are sometimes paid for in part by the employer.
To qualify for acceptance into our program, you must be:
- At least 18 years of age
- Physically capable of performing the work of the trade
- A High School graduate or have a Certificate of High School Equivalency commonly called a GED
- Employed with an Electrical Contractor who is a member of IEC
- Demonstrate the ability to read and to perform mathematical calculation at a minimum 10th grade level
Please contact IEC for more information about the entrance examination.
Employment with one of our members is vital. In order to qualify for our program, you MUST first be working for one of our contractors. If you are not currently employed with one of our members, IEC also offers a manpower referral service which will assist you in finding employment with one of our members. To be placed on the manpower list, contact Josh Fuller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Evening Class Times
Each class is 3 hours in length, with 60 scheduled classes per year. Classes are either on Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday in the evenings and are from 6-9 PM.
The campus you attend depends on where you live and where you work. We currently offer classes at:
- Hillsborough Community College, Dale Mabry Campus, in Tampa
- Pinellas Technical College in Clearwater
- Marchman Technical College in Pasco County
- Traviss Technical College in Polk County
For those apprentices who live greater than 20 miles from any of our campuses, IEC offers classes through distance learning. Each class is a live class with a real instructor who can interact with the class and answer questions; however, you attend class through your computer. This is done by using live streaming video and audio in real time.
Upon successful completion of the IEC program, we will schedule you for a qualifying third party examination depending upon which program you are in. Commercial Electricians will take the Journeyman’s Electrician Examination.
Additionally, our program will earn you college credits towards an Associate in Science Degree in Industrial Management Technology. For more information contact Robert Jacob at email@example.com or call (727) 499-0727.
Independent Electrical Contractors-FWCC Apprenticeship is an Equal Access/Equal Opportunity Educational Program with a commitment to achieve diversity. Approved for Veteran’s training benefits.